Friday, October 28, 2011

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

 Joel: I can't remember anything without you.
Clementine: That's sweet, but try.


Well, I've actually never wrote about films before. There would never be that great of a movie that would get me emotionally attached to. Talk about drama queen here. After watching this movie with my boyfriend earlier this year, I fell in love with it. This film isn't any other concise film. It actually took me a couple of times to watch it just to understand some parts. But that's what I love about it. It's a love story mixed with memories, pain, and emotional tragedy. While Joel (Jim Carrey), is trying to figure out why his girlfriend Clementine (Kate Winslet) erased him from her memories, he undergoes the same procedure that Clementine has done. While he undergoes the procedure of erasing his memories of her, he realizes that as it fades away, he was still in love with her, although she was impulsive. But little do they know that only through the process of loss that they discover what they had to begin with. I thought that whole idea was sweet. It just got me emotional how a relationship so sweet and innocent can turn out bitter and sour. But what I love about this movie is that them meeting each other was inevitable. Another great thing about this film is the director. The whole movie was shot in a creative way. Michael Gondry's work is amazing. Another great film of his is called, The Science of Sleep, another romantic film involving dreams and imagination.

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;


- Eloisa to Abelard by Alexander Pope, the story of a tragic love affair, where forgetfulness became the heroine's only comfort

No comments:

Post a Comment